~

~

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Week 55: You'll Always Be My Thunder

I don't know if I've ever had this problem before. I don't know what to write about.  Cha Cha and KK didn't make it to church yesterday.  That was sad for us.  We've called em twice since then and no answer, so we don't know what happened.  When we saw them this week, though, they told us how much they loved church last Sunday.  They were taken aback by the five of us (four of them being missionaries) there in the foyer to greet them when they walked in.  They're like "It's almost like ya'll were waitin on us" and we're like "he...heheh......yeahhh" because of COURSE we were waiting for them.  I don't think anyone but other missionaries understand how exciting it is when investigators actually show up to church.  I saw them in the foyer and almost screamed.  They also said they felt very welcome, by all the new faces that came up and said hi after sacrament.  Cha Cha said she told KK that "This is what's it's gonna feel like walkin into heaven.  It's peaceful, and you'll know people."  I think the belief that you forget everything after death and won't know anyone in heaven is a sad belief.  Don't know why anyone would wanna believe that.  We chuckled when they told us they saw the deacons lining up and nudged each other to pull out some money, thinking it was an offering plate. But then it was actually trays of blessed bread and water for the sacrament, which they said left them feeling refreshed, and was their favorite part of the meeting.  Gotta love when investigators on their first Sunday recognize what took you like 17 years to understand.  So hopefully nothing's wrong and they'll be back next Sunday!  My last in the Florence ward.  Crazy.  I'm going to miss so many of these people so much.  They really grow on you after 7 months.

I found vanilla pudding in the cupboard the other day, the kind you cook (I know right? I didn't know not-instant was a thing) and I got this crazy idea that if I cooked rice too and combined the two, it would equal rice pudding.  Guess what.  I was 100% right.  It was delicious.

We spent two hours with a sister in the ward, helping her clean out her pantry.  I'm going to miss the way she exclaims "Oh mercy!" in true southern-belle style every time she found another expired item.  I geeked out over the retro items (gatorade powder and jello boxes that look like they were made in the 80's) and we found a bag of beans that expired the day Sister Dailey's 16 year old brothers were born.  February 1998.
We broke the Pinata with barbells and karate chops.  Chocolate went flying everywhere and we were very happy!!!

My dog repellent (gift from the mailman) has proven to be invaluable.  I don't even spray it 9 times out of 10, but I don't know what we'd do without it.  Huge dogs will come bounding toward us when we're not even close to their driveway, barking like beasts, and while Sister Dailey freezes with fright and prepares to die, I pull out my little dog-mace can, point it like a weapon, and tell them hey, we ain't even on your turf, so back off or you get a facefull.  They always back off.


Sister Dailey gets more points every time I make a reference she understands.  This week is was Thunder, the song by Boys Like Girls (shout out to my high school obsession).  You know the one that goes,
"Your voice was the soundtrack of my summer,
Do you know you're unlike any other
You'll always be my thunder"
Well she and I will have been working together from beginning of June to end of August, so this is officially our companionship song.  Plus, I don't think I've endured as many thunderstorms with anyone else as I have with her, both of the literal and the emotional variety.

Sister C, elderly less active we've been visiting for weeks who hasn't come to church yet, was a lot different when we came over last.  Her face didn't look so heavy, and she said she had something to tell us about.  She'd been at the pharmacy to pay for medications, but her card was mistakenly showing an insufficient balance.  With no other way to pay, and these being very necessary medications, she was at a complete loss, until the woman in line behind her hands the guy her own card and pays it off, then turns to Sister C and says "You've been blessed."  She was floored.  This is the same sister who asked God one night, "Where are you?  Did you forget about me?" and the next day me and Sister Creager knocked on her door.  This time, she said "I got this feeling that Heavenly Father does love me.  Just like ya'll said.  It was a really sweet feeling."  It's the simplest of doctrines, the most basic of eternal truths, that some of us so easily forget; and when forgotten, it's so easy to stray.  But the relearning of these things, usually through small and simple means, can change a person like nothing else can, can turn their hearts and point them back to the path they'd forgotten.  How powerful and how vital is an understanding of this truth: I am a child of God.

At Zone Conference, our focus was the Book of Mormon.  I made Sister Dailey and the elders read out loud from Ether on the drive up, because I love the story of the Brother of Jared, and was reminded how incredible the Book of Mormon is.  In such a limited space of pages, there is SO MUCH packed in.  So many stories, so much doctrine, so much truth, so much consolation and comfort and chastisement and encouragement, and it's different every time you read it.  During the conference, we practiced ways we can better use it in our teaching.  We all believe this book is true, is the word of God, and yet we're hesitant sometimes to open it with other people and share straight out of it.  Maybe it's because we're afraid they won't understand.  But if their hearts are open, they'll get something out of it somehow.  That, I have seen happen.  I regret not sharing the Book of Mormon with more of my friends and associates back home, especially those who were open with me about their personal struggles.  I guess I didn't realize what I had.  But now I do, and I'm going to be proactive about it after my mission.  I mean, if I could easily and enthusiastically talk to a girlfriend about He's Just Not That Into You, the dating advice book that changed my life, why can't I just as zealously talk about the Book that changed my life and continues to change it daily?  Something to think about.  Also during the conference, a couple of our leaders finished their instruction by bearing testimony, and I don't even know what they said, but I closed my eyes and asked Heavenly Father to reaffirm my testimony of the Book of Mormon.  And He did.  It was a sweet feeling.  Calm, but powerful.  Kind of like thunder in the distance.  Gentle, but immense.  I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.

 10 And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.
 11 And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words... [2 Nephi 33]

Now, "power and great glory" may not be a grand heavenly manifestation, but they are found in the every day things if you only notice them.  The answers to questions, the sweet feelings of assurance.  The Lord is quick to show His hand, is the point I guess I relearned this week.  With Sister C, I was fresh out of ideas of what we could do for her, how we could help her understand that God knows her and loves her.  And I didn't have to do anything.  He took care of it.  I do what I can do, and He does what He can do, always.  But you still have to do what you can do.  That's the catch.

Sincerely,
Sister Valdez

So who or what really is a yogi?

Well, it is someone who has dedicated their entire life to yoga; they stand in tree pose for days on rocks and meditate. They probably don’t pay $20 to go to a yoga class. They are sages, and frankly their numbers are few.
If you want to discuss what a real yogi is, it is definitely not the Lulelemon-wearing sorority girl who can afford the expensive class fees on a frequent basis. Sure, if you want to call yourself a yogi to identify yourself as someone who practices asana, that is fine by me. You may be in it just for the workout, or maybe you really do appreciate the other aspects to yoga; what it brings to your life besides a healthier body.
In this day and age, yoga is here to help center and ground us in an unstable, frightening society. It can teach us to be nicer to strangers, to smile more often, to calm our minds with our breath, and to embrace our potential and not be discouraged by things we cannot control. That is what is beautiful about yoga in this day and age.
It is not the perfect body, the clothing lines, being vegetarian, or how often you actually get on your mat. It’s about embracing our humanity and making us better people. Definitely not about changing us. We should still be the same person before incorporating yoga into our lives, just in an enhanced form.

Oh, and by the way, yoga is not a “life within a life.” It is a method of living life. And it is nowhere near perfection.


avatar

About


Devan Oschmann is a Yoga Teacher and Creator of Root2Rise Yoga and Holistic Health based out of Austin, Texas. A Wisconsin native, she has spent the majority of her life cultivating Midwestern wholesomeness and honing holistic practices. She is currently a Masters student at the Academy of Oriental Medicine and enjoys spending her time teaching yoga and advocating wellness. She also enjoys a hardy, sweaty yoga workout, spending time outdoors and with her dog, cooking, and drinking Wisconsin beer.
- See more at: http://yoganonymous.com/stop-the-stereotyping-5-yogi-labels-that-need-to-be-addressed/#sthash.uoDiN1ce.dpuf

So who or what really is a yogi?

Well, it is someone who has dedicated their entire life to yoga; they stand in tree pose for days on rocks and meditate. They probably don’t pay $20 to go to a yoga class. They are sages, and frankly their numbers are few.
If you want to discuss what a real yogi is, it is definitely not the Lulelemon-wearing sorority girl who can afford the expensive class fees on a frequent basis. Sure, if you want to call yourself a yogi to identify yourself as someone who practices asana, that is fine by me. You may be in it just for the workout, or maybe you really do appreciate the other aspects to yoga; what it brings to your life besides a healthier body.
In this day and age, yoga is here to help center and ground us in an unstable, frightening society. It can teach us to be nicer to strangers, to smile more often, to calm our minds with our breath, and to embrace our potential and not be discouraged by things we cannot control. That is what is beautiful about yoga in this day and age.
It is not the perfect body, the clothing lines, being vegetarian, or how often you actually get on your mat. It’s about embracing our humanity and making us better people. Definitely not about changing us. We should still be the same person before incorporating yoga into our lives, just in an enhanced form.

Oh, and by the way, yoga is not a “life within a life.” It is a method of living life. And it is nowhere near perfection.


avatar

About


Devan Oschmann is a Yoga Teacher and Creator of Root2Rise Yoga and Holistic Health based out of Austin, Texas. A Wisconsin native, she has spent the majority of her life cultivating Midwestern wholesomeness and honing holistic practices. She is currently a Masters student at the Academy of Oriental Medicine and enjoys spending her time teaching yoga and advocating wellness. She also enjoys a hardy, sweaty yoga workout, spending time outdoors and with her dog, cooking, and drinking Wisconsin beer.
- See more at: http://yoganonymous.com/stop-the-stereotyping-5-yogi-labels-that-need-to-be-addressed/#sthash.uoDiN1ce.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment